Clackmannanshire Council is committed to making its online resources accessible to all visitors. We continually review our site and modify pages to remove accessibility problems for people with disabilities and to make information more accessible for all users. All of our content is checked for Plain English, and we aim to use a written style which is straightforward and understandable.
Our target is to meet or exceed the provisions of the WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) Conformance Level "AA", which means that all Priority 2 checkpoints are satisfied. The full checklist of Checkpoints for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 can be found at http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/.
What does that mean in practice?
We follow a list of accessibility guidelines when designing web sites and their content. This includes:
- Maintain a standard layout and navigation system throughout;
- Use headings, paragraphs, lists and other HTML (HyperText Markup Language) to create a logical document structure;
- Allow visitors to resize all text;
- Use plain backgrounds to improve the readability of text;
- Use foreground and background colour combinations which have sufficient contrast and are not known to cause problems for sufferers of colour-blindness;
- Use alt attributes on all images, and title or longdesc attributes where appropriate, and ensure that all alt, title and longdesc attributes are meaningful;
- Design layouts to work satisfactorily at a range of screen resolutions;
- Ensure all hyperlinks use descriptive and meaningful text, avoiding short-hand language like 'Click here';
- Provide internal anchors for visitors using screen readers or similar technology;
- Provide access keys to allow keyboard navigation to the main areas of the site;
- Always provide an alternative to scripts or other controls which rely on client device capability.
We are always trying to improve ClacksWeb. If you have any comments on our accessiblity policy, or suggestions for how to improve the site please contact us using the details below.